S1-09 GROUP E RESEARCH JUSTIFICATION
2013 YEAR ONE INTERDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH STUDIES
Research Topic: Food wastage
Chosen Area of Focus: An investigation as to how to reduce food wastage amongst SST students
Our chosen area of focus is “An investigation as to how to reduce food wastage amongst SST students”. We have chosen this topic as some of us tend to pour away unfinished food. The reason tends to be that we are already very full, we do not like a certain ingredient or we are rushed for time. Our parents and peers would say that we are simply trying not to harm our relations or ourselves. And we can’t help but agree sometimes we really do not want to be late for that one lesson or overeat and result in vomiting or choking. We find that food vendors also often feel disheartened to see the food they cooked whole-heartedly to be wasted and poured away. But on the other hand, there may also be some good points of people who eat lesser food. Such as they could ask for lesser food or not be too greedy and steal food from others.
- Possible reasons for problems related to food wastage might be that we are already quite full or feeling sick and do not want to share the remaining food. There are a lot of possible reasons that we could not finish our food.
- The advantages are students are not late for lessons or risk vomiting or choking.
- Some students spend way too much time during their recess periods talking, not really eating. Or they are feeling unwell and not really want to eat as much. But the vendor did not hear what they asked for and still gave the regular portions. Instead of however much lesser they asked for.
Reasons for choice of topic
- We have chosen this topic, as we want to find out more about why people waste food or cannot finish their food.
- This allows us to fulfill the requirements of the project task as the project task looks at food wastage from a good and bad point of view, which is also what we will be doing.
- This topic benefits relations and society as people will know the limit and will know when to ask for lesser food or try to manage their time better and not waste their food.
Feasibility of the research
- There is a need for our research, as many people do not know how to manage their food wastage, especially students. Hence, our research can help to let these people know how regulate their food intake and time management for food.
- It is possible to carry out and complete the project, as there are many students in the school that we can survey on and interview.
- The proposed course of action is logical and realistic as it can be completed with the help of some students who would be willing to do a survey and with our hardwork and group effort.
- The research provides sufficient opportunity for generation of ideas, as we will constantly have to think of ways to do certain things in the project. As for analysis and evaluation of ideas, we will certainly have many opportunities to analyse information and evaluate ideas on how to go about deciding what to do next.
Manageability of the research
- The timeline for the different components of the project will be decided later based on the situation then. But overall, the project will be done as quickly and carefully as we can, trying our best not to go out of point and staying as close to the topic as possible.
- This research provides sufficient opportunity for group work as we will need to discuss a lot of matters regarding the project, for example who will be assigned to do what component of the project and we will have to work together.
- We do anticipate some difficulties along the way, such as poor communication among the group members and lack of data. We intend to cope with these difficulties by trying to get the group to go and upload their findings and their part of the project onto google drive.
Accessibility of the information required
- Information/knowledge that will be relevant to our research would be the amount of food that students waste on average each day.
- We will be obtaining this information from primary and secondary sources, depending on which one gives more reliable and useful information.
- Some alternatives that we have thought of would be to ask others for information or where can we find the information that we need. (Survery or interview)
- Some problems we anticipate while gathering my materials would be that the information that we can find is not entirely relevant to our project and that that is already the closest piece of information among all others that we have found. We can trim down the information and try to have the information found to be more relevant.